Prodigious author and rally organiser Jimmy Cornell returns to Lanzarote for a new cruising seminar series, taking place in Marina Lanzarote from 12 to 14 November.
Jimmy Cornell will launch the 2018 Lanzarote seminar series with a convivial book-signing session in Marina Lanzarote. Hosted by Lava Charter | Tienda Náutica, the popular marina chandlery, guests will be invited to enjoy some local white wine and craft beer produced on the island.
“Lanzarote is the logical landfall for anyone arriving in the Canaries but as in recent years it has become also a port of departure for the transatlantic crossing, I couldn’t miss the opportunity to be there at that time myself and meet the sailors preparing for their great adventure.” Jimmy Cornell
The first fully-serviced point of call for sailors arriving from northern Europe, Marina Lanzarote fills quickly during the transat season although increasing numbers of cruisers are taking a year to discover the Canaries before heading onwards. The marina’s extensive boatyard and authentic city-based location makes for a practical and easy base for exploring the archipelago. Lava Charter’s friendly staff help source parts and their shop stocks Imray charts and pilot books, a wide range of safety equipment, Camping Gaz and international flags. They are official Garmin and SOLAS representatives and of course carry a large stock of Jimmy Cornell’s publications.
Jimmy Cornell is a well-known face in the marina having organised many international rallies in recent years. His seminars are always well-attended and invite plentiful queries from a fellow cruiser having logged more than 200,000 miles, including three circumnavigations and voyages to Antarctica and the Northwest Passage. The seminar programme is as follows:
- Monday 12 November:
- 18:00: Meet Jimmy Cornell for a convivial book-signing evening in Marina Lanzarote, hosted by Lava Charter | Tienda Náutica.
- Tuesday 13 November: Presentations followed by Q & A.
- 16:00: After the Caribbean – what next? Return to Europe directly or via Azores? Continue to USA and cross the Atlantic from there? Sail west to the Panama Canal and beyond? Comments on where to spend the coming hurricane season.
- 18:00: Climate change and its effects on voyage planning. What can be done to continue enjoying safe cruising.
- Wednesday 14 November:
- 16:00 – Open forum on voyage planning. Jimmy Cornell hosts a Q & A afternoon session on voyage planning in the tropics and high latitudes, safety and practical aspects, comments and advice on individual voyage plans, etc.
All events will be held in Marina Lanzarote’s Sailing Events Lounge, found next to Lilium restaurant.